Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eko Ujang: Malang Mask Dance Needs to Be Preserved

Eko Ujang

Eko Ujang is a Malang mask dancer from Malang, East Java, Indonesia. He has started to learn dance since six-year old. He is so experienced to dance Malang mask, a mask dance teacher, and  a dancer-choreographer. It is my interview with him.


Agung PW: Since what age did you learn Malang mask dance?
Eko Ujang: I started to learn to dance the age of 6 years, but if Istarted to learn dance masks seriously since the age of 16 years when in first class of senior high school. I was too late to learn to dance mask. because I was not initially attracted to dance mask as  mask dance  group   in my village   for adults only, no group of children. Initialy I learnt  mask dance at Sanggar Asmorobangun located at the village of Pakisaji, Malang Regency, in which the maestro of Mbah Karimun taught there. 


Besides joining Malang mask dance group, I  also studied Surakartan classical dance style.
For example, Wayang Wong and Ketoprak. Many people around me sneer and scold me because I joined some Malang mask dance groups. But  I  stay to keep on my principle that by   the only way to learn to several traditional art sources   I can enhance  my knowledge of dance and movement vocabularies.

Agung PW: What is interesting in Malang mask dance movement? Is there similarities with other dance traditions in Indonesia?
Eko Ujang: Malang   mask dance has its own distinctive characteristics when compared with other areas of dance, first in the shape of his mask, the mask poor form is the union between the human form and shape of the puppet. Another characteristic that appears in the Malang mask dance is   the direction of motion tend not on a single frontal plane, although both legs spread out would happen crosses the line direction, where the right foot slightly forward while the left foot more of the load bearing body  weight. right foot rested somewhat liberated in body weight due to be shaking ‘gongseng’ (pieces of small metallic bell)  mounted on the ankle of dancers, serving  to regulate the rhythm of motion and also turn on the dance.   similarities with the character style Cirebon mask, for example, there are figures, klono, and banners, but for distinctly  movements.

Figures of Malang mask dances have   similarities with the character of  Cirebon mask style, for example, Klono, Panji etc. But for distinctly   movements. in dancing mask required exceptional balance of the body  with a view of the limited and must bring an energetic dance movement.  Many Malang   mask dance movements lift right foot up so  the left foot menggangkat support the body in full.  As a mask dancer   we are required to be able to make the mask alive in orderder to suit with each charater.  Malang mask dance has different styles such as Pakisaji, Jambuwer and Glagahdowo. 

Agung PW: What is Malang mask dance philosophy?
Eko Ujang: When we see the story  episode  played in the style of Malang  puppet mask,  we can read the wisdom inside that The Goodness conquers the Badness. In this case, subtle character OF Panji  symbolizes the goodness and the figure of Klono is the badness.

Agung PW: Why do you become a dancer? What is the purpose of your life?
Eko Ujang:  Why do I become a dancer? I am  also confused he...he...he.... Since childhood I have really liked to see   when people were  dancing and wearing dance costume. Even the wall of my bedroom was filled with puppet paintings. An I like collecting paper puppet on two big boxes. I used to play them with friends around the house athe the age of 5. And for some reason  I never have went   out from home and not to dance and interact with artists. But I could not keep, eventually I returned  to dance again.
If you ask me what  my life purpose is. I am  also somewhat confused to answer it, because so far I feel the flow of time  bringing   me to this day.   I assume that all have been  set up. Although we tried to run away  but if our field is in dance  we stay towards dance. We only can make a plan but still God who decide what to be.  I initially want to work in the office formally but I am not happy. I just want to dance and promote Indonesian traditional dance abroad,  however I stiil do not have opportunity.  

Agung PW: How is the animo of youngsters in Malang towards Malang mask dance? If they are not interested, what will you do?

Eko Ujang: There are still a lot of youngsters who like Malang mask traditional dance. Based on my training experience to them, the important thing is how  to tran them by the right way. Don’t teach kids by the difficult movements. Train them by simple and enjoyable movements. If the they have been so good at dancing we give them basic movements of Malang mask dance. In  March 2011, I perfored my my work titled “Malangkucuceswara’. All dancers were  high school students who just knew traditional dance.  I simplified the movements but they are still rooted on traditional dance in order to make them enjoyble when dancing.

Agung PW: Does   Malang mask dance need  to be preserved? If yes, how?
Eko Ujang: For me, Malang mask dance  is the identity and pride for Malang people. So it needs to be preserved, but unfortunately this process is very difficult. For example, many Malang mask dance groups in villages is not active anymore because of the difficulty in regenerating mask dancer. I used to have many friends as old as me   in the village but they had to work in city. Those the female  dancers did not continue to dance after getting marriage.  Now some dancers of different groups often to perform together to enhance togetherness for sharing ideas and experience. Besides, I try to perfrong wayang topeng by music CDs or tape to save the budget.
 
Agung PW: What is  your latest dance work now?
Eko Ujang: All my works are based on Malang mask dance. In December 2010, I create new work entitled Bedhaya Surya and it has been successful to be  selected   the ten  best performing    in the Jawa Timur Bedhaya Festival 2010.  I explore Malang mask dance rooted on Jambuwer  style in my works, the idea on the greatness of Majapahit Kingdom. I would like to introduce and promote Malang mask dance to domestic and worldwide public as preserving activity.

Agung PW: Are you interested in making dance works in collaboration with choreographers or dancers, both from Indonesia and overseas?
Eko Ujang: Yes, I do want to collaborate with domestic and worldwide dancers to increase my experience and knowledge in dance. If there is someone who is interested, he or she can contact to me.

Email: topengmalangdance@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment